Girls swim and dive faces off against the reigning state champions

Charlotte Stephan

More stories from Charlotte Stephan

Goodbye FHC
May 31, 2023
Keyan Roelfzema
May 3, 2023
Gibson Wierenga
May 3, 2023

Last night the girls swim and dive team faced off against the reigning state champion team, East Grand Rapids where they ended with a final score of 60-119. Although it was a tough way to end their regular season, the girls were still able to show their incredible talent.

Five of the six Ranger divers went out and showed everyone what they had. Juniors Taylor Greemann and Lily Zorn both ended up with a score of 148.35 leading them to tie for tenth place. Along with them, junior Jia Niemeyer was able to secure herself a seventh-place finish with a score of 160.35. The highest score from the Rangers was 206.16 earned by junior Rachael Yeager who was able to take a solid fourth place.

“It was a little bit daunting to compete against such a large team with such beautiful divers but it also pushed us to step up and compete at a higher level,” Rachael said. “Overall I was really happy with my dives, I met my goal as far as my score and I successfully completed one of my newer dives.”

The relay teams were up next where freshmen Maggie Holt, Allison Meny, and Mady Scarlato along with junior Ashley Schenck represented the 200-yard medley relay. Although they took fourth, they still had a solid time of 2:07.56. Freshman Ava Mattson, sophomores Nora Magers and Norah Hemsley, and Ashley Schenck were able to hold onto the third-place spot in the 200-yard free relay with a time of 1:59.32.

“EGR is such a big team it was really intimidating knowing we were going to get crushed, but even though they were a roadblock for us, I was really happy with how I swam,” Maggie said. “Looking at the end of the season, I am excited to “suit up” and taper for our conference and state meet.”

Last were the individual races which went very well for many of the Rangers. Allison Meny was able to take second place in the 200-yard individual medley with a time of 2:28.57 followed by freshman Julianna Gole who took fourth with a time of 2:56.98. Ashley Schank had an incredible run in the 50-yard free where she placed second with a personal best time of 27.15 and another amazing time in the 100-yard free where she took third with a time of 59.59.

“Going into the meet we knew we had little chance of winning since they are one of the bests if not the best team in the state so we decided to mix it up a little and try some new events to have fun,” Ashley said. “As we head towards the end of the season I am looking forward to conference which should be a lot of fun.”

The girls next meet will be on November 4 and November 5 at Northview High School. It is their conference meet so make sure to go out and support them!