Freshman Volleyball finds multiple wins against tough opponents

Coming off a solid win against Greenville on October 4, the freshman volleyball team had three tough matches ahead. The girls played Grand Rapids Christian, FHN and Greenville again, unfortunately, the freshman team was in for a tough time. With vast improvements showing from the start of the season, the team went through the stretch without a loss.

Throughout the season the main point the team focused on was getting better at working as a team. And they did just that. As explained in previous stories, the team had to band together to improve without stable coaching. The one thing that stud player Georgia Miller feels the team has learned is just that, “I think the big thing, if anything, is that we’ve learned how to work as a team.” Georgia explained.

With the season wrapping up, the team has begun the start of a strong finish. With a dominant win against Greenville on Thursday, the team is poised for a fantastic finish to the season. Although they didn’t have the best start, the girls picked it up with just a few matches to go.

Anticipation was high going into the match against FHN. Coming off two solid wins, the Rangers were on a hot streak, and to make it more important, it was a rivalry game. In every sport FHC rivals with the Huskies, but in volleyball, the matchup is tight every year. With this tight rivalry, winning was necessary and the lady Rangers outperformed expectations and bested Forest Hills Northern.

With this win, morale was high going into the match against Grand Rapids Christian. GRC would be a proving game for the team, and they showed out and beat a talented GRC team. Having another win under their belt was crucial going into the Northern rivalry match.

Libero Clare Knoester expressed her excitement. “It feels great, our hard work as a team has finally paid off.”

With this fantastic stretch of wins going into the conference semi-finals, the girls had a tough match ahead. Playing Byron Center with an 0-1 record against them, the team knew they had to play really well to get it done. While they played well, they couldn’t overcome the Bulldogs after just two sets.

Although they lost, with the varsity teams winning, they get to move on anyways and they play Northern at home on October 27. With the entire season on the line, this is a big game. They have put a lot of work into this season and it all comes down to one match. It’s definitely going to be a fantastic way to cap off a great season.