What sports are the Rangers interested in having at FHC?

Here at Forest Hills Central, we offer many sport options for our students: football, baseball, gymnastics and so many more. On the other hand, there are plenty of sports that we don’t have and wish we did. 

With sports come many opportunities for students to be involved in their community, and bringing a couple extra sports into the fold calls for even more. The term “sport” has been around in the English language since the fifteenth century. It was derived from the Old French desporter meaning “leisure.” Sports began in America in the seventeenth century and have continued to mature throughout many years. Lacrosse, invented in 1636 by William George Beers, is the oldest sport in our history and has evolved greatly since then. 

There are also sports that may seem out of the ordinary to add to a school. Yard games, such as cornhole or ladderball, or even sports that do make sense, such as cycling or table tennis, would thrive in a school atmosphere. 

Senior Paris Gooch believes that macho volleyball would thrive in our school and would bring a high amount of fun for everyone. “FHC should consider making macho volleyball a fall sport, aside from the women’s team. They only get to develop a macho team during Winterfest, and I feel as if the boys would be very good at the sport,” she states. “I also feel as if it would be great to get other districts around us involved for competitions and such.” 

“Macho volleyball would be a great way for our guys to have something fun to do, but also another sport to take seriously,” junior Cohen Murray shares, agreeing with Paris. 

Having sports that people not only enjoy playing but also enjoy watching is what makes them popular among the people. The high school crowds are an especially beneficial crowd to please. Once someone enjoys a sport, the domino effect takes place and eventually many people know about or are interested in the sport. 

Teacher Jonathan Fisher also has a sport that he loves and believes should be incorporated at FHC permanently. “One of my favorite Olympic events is the beach volleyball portion of the Summer Olympics, and I think it would be really cool to add here at FHC. I’m not sure if it’s an MSHAA sport or not, but I still think it would be awesome.” 

Beach volleyball is a fun way to take someone’s volleyball skills to the next level. Playing in the sand and the sun is a way to challenge yourself as a player. Since the girls season is in the fall, adding beach volleyball in the spring would be ideal. 

Sophomore Paige Jacobs believes mini-golf would be a great addition to FHC and is confident that it would be a fun sport for athletes to take on to have a great time on their off-season. 

“I love mini golf, and I’m sure everyone else does too. It can be competitive, but is also a great way to have fun with friends. Here at FHC, there is plenty of competition that would make the game serious, but I feel as if there would never be a dull moment.” 

Having more sports here at FHC would give anyone, even the non-athletes, a chance to be involved and have a great time. If there is a sport you are interested in or passionate about, share it! All it takes is interest among the student body to make it big.