What happens behind the scenes of FHC athletics?

Charlotte Stephan

More stories from Charlotte Stephan

Goodbye FHC
May 31, 2023
Keyan Roelfzema
May 3, 2023
Gibson Wierenga
May 3, 2023

Forest Hills Central High School is known for many things, one of which is its outstanding athletics. Just last year, the school sent ten different sports teams and and a variety of individuals to state competitions. However, without the funding of the FHC Athletic Boosters, the facilities, warm-ups, and equipment would be nearly impossible to obtain.

FHC has over nine hundred students involved in the thirty-seven different athletic programs offered. Getting the proper funding to support every student-athlete and sport fully can be difficult, but that is precisely what the FHC Athletic Boosters Club is here to help with.

“The mission of the athletic boosters is to promote involvement in athletics and to raise funds to supplement the budgets of all thirty athletic programs at FHC,” treasurer Jennifer Bunke said.

Bunke has been on the board for the past six years. Through her time here, she, the rest of the board, and the support of FHC families and businesses have gifted over $300,000 to the athletic department. They have used this money to buy new equipment in the weight room, a portable scoreboard for the lower turf field, replacements for the folding chairs in the gym, an upgraded scoring table, and much more.

Many may ask where all this funding comes from, but fans don’t realize that they constantly support the school through every event they attend. Every hot dog, bag of popcorn, t-shirt, and tailgate wristband you buy, go directly towards supporting the booster club. 

“We raise funds through operating the concession stands, spirit wear, donations, the annual Community Tailgate, and golf outings so that we can financially support our teams’ programs,” co-president Becky Cumings said.

Forest Hills Central is also widely known for its Ranger family and supporting community which the booster club represents perfectly. All board members are parents to current and graduated FHC students. These parents are passionate about volunteering their time to see their athletes succeed.

“Last year, Mrs. Cumings asked me to help in the football concessions when they were short on volunteers. My husband and I both enjoy volunteering and had fun setting up the tent to sell items away from the actual building to help shorten the crazy long lines,” said co-president Amy Stephan. “It was fun to see people and say hi to friends of our kids. I continued helping throughout the year, and this summer took on the responsibility of being co-president with Mrs. Cumings. I’m glad to be able to serve as a volunteer in this way at FHC.”

The boosters rely on not only their staff but also the parent and student-volunteers. There are many opportunities for the families of FHC to become involved, including helping in concessions, getting community business sponsors, becoming an officer on the board, or becoming a parent representative for their child’s athletic team. If you are interested in sharing your support through FHC, you may contact the board members at [email protected].

So, the next time you put that jersey on, buy that piece of candy, or wear that Ranger hat, remember all of the hardworking parents who dedicate their time to making Forest Hills Central Athletics possible.