Girls swim and dive falls short to two very strong teams

Charlotte Stephan

More stories from Charlotte Stephan

Goodbye FHC
May 31, 2023
Keyan Roelfzema
May 3, 2023
Gibson Wierenga
May 3, 2023

Last night, the girls swim and dive team competed in a tri-meet against Rockford and the Forest Hills Northern/Eastern team. Although they couldn’t take first place, they still had many stand-out athletes.

Five of the team’s six divers competed in the one-meter dive. Junior Rachael Yeager ended up in fourth place with a score of 173.20. Junior Jia Niemeyer tried two brand new dives and earned herself a score of 145.2, and secured a solid sixth place. 

“I would say I’m happy with the ambition in which I did my dives today,” Jia said. “Perfection will come after more repetition of each dive.”

Although some races didn’t go as well as others, the swimmers still had a successful night. The 200-yard medley relay comprised freshman Allison Meny, sophomores Kayla Quach and Nora Magers, and Senior Annie Douma placed third with a time of 2:02.71. The 400-yard free relay team made up of freshmen Maggie Holt and Mady Scarlato, senior Sydney VanLente, and Kayla Quach also had an outstanding night earning a time of 4:02.44 and placing 2nd.

“The team chemistry tonight was electric,” Mady said. “We had people cheering everyone on at the end of the lane for their events, in every single event, and when the divers were diving, all the swimmers were loud and clapping after every dive.”

Not only did the relays go well, but individually many girls were able to show their talent. Allison showed her skill in the 500-yard free, ending with a time of 5:38.25, earning her a second-place spot. Sydney came in first place in both the 200-yard free with a time of 2:02.49 and the 100-yard fly with a time of 1:02.06.

“We had some great competition at the meet, and there were definitely some tough races,” Sydney said. “I am so happy to score points for my team early in the season.”

The girls look forward to their next meet, which is away at Grand Ledge High School, on Tuesday, September 20, at 6:00 p.m.