Girls JV basketball opens season with tough loss to Northview Wildcats

Last night, the girls JV basketball team kicked off its season with a home game against the Northview Wildcats. After several road bumps to start their season, this group of freshmen and two sophomores had never set foot on the court together before tonight. Despite their 23-18 loss, they proved that they are a force to be reckoned with in the upcoming season. 

The Rangers were missing their two returning sophomores, Frankie Sutton and Maya Holser, in their season opener which proved to cause some difficulties given Frankie’s incredible ball control and Maya’s dominance in the post. However, several freshmen stepped up and made a big impact in their first-ever high school game to combat some of the skills they were missing. 

Freshmen Claire Marvin and Lacey Smith led the Rangers in points last night with five apiece. These two also took over the guard position and were some of the main contributors in bringing the ball up the floor to set up their offense. Alongside them were freshmen Maggie Sneider and Zenash Cummings who both had four points. Zenash did a phenomenal job of seeing the floor throughout the game and looking for the pass up the floor, helping to push the ball quickly on several occasions. Maggie was a key for the Rangers in their rebounding game. She was there for both offensive and defensive rebounds and was key down in the post position. 

The girls JV basketball team sits at a record of 0-1 to start their season. However, with many games ahead, they are looking to wipe off all the rust and to turn the season around. Their next game will be this Friday, February 12, at 5:30 pm. They will take on the Forest Hills Northern Huskies on the Huskies’ home court.