Justin Osterhouse throws four touchdowns in season finale to help JV football defeat Thornapple Kellogg 37-6

In its final game of the season, the JV football team traveled to Thornapple Kellogg in an attempt to finish strong. While boasting a 4-1 record, FHC had unquestionable levels of confidence prior to the matchup. With help from an outstanding performance from sophomore Justin Osterhouse, the Ranger offense could not be stopped. In conjunction with the always-excellent defense, FHC dominated Thornapple Kellogg by a score of 37-6.

From the start of the game, the Ranger offense came out with an attitude and swagger that was unmatched by their opponent. Unlike many other games this season, FHC scored early and often. A passing touchdown from Justin to fellow sophomore Levi McKenzie for 10 yards and another one to sophomore Chase Robinson for 30 yards helped the Rangers take a 14-0 and set the tone of the game.  

“We started the game off with a quick two-play drive, capped off by a Levi touchdown. It boosted my own and the team’s confidence,” Justin recalled following the game. “On the next drive, that confidence allowed me to step up and throw the touchdown to Chase.” It is clear that Justin’s decision-making as well as his skillful play allowed FHC to establish its dominance.

On the other side of the ball, the defense was phenomenal. As usual, FHC’s defense was extremely stout all game long. The consistency and support that it gives every game simply cannot be overlooked. Thornapple Kellogg did not score until late in the third quarter, providing the team with plenty of breathing room on the scoreboard. The second quarter saw yet another touchdown pass from Osterhouse, this time on a 25-yard strike to sophomore Rowan Clay. The passing exhibition showcased by the Ranger offense truly emphasized the mismatch between the two opponents. A 22-0 lead at halftime gave FHC a massive cushion with just one total half remaining on the season. 

The Rangers did not deter from their prior success whatsoever in the second half as they continued to impose their will on the Trojans. Freshman JT Hartman ran for a 2-yard touchdown shortly after coming out of the locker room; a short pass to sophomore Micheal Campbell for the two-point conversion finished off the drive, extending the lead to 30-0. Although a long 70-yard touchdown run put Thornapple Kellogg on the board, the 24-point lead was more than enough for victory. Still not satisfied with his performance, Justin topped off a career night with his fourth touchdown pass as he found Chase Robinson once more for 30 yards. Osterhouse’s efforts were sincerely appreciated by his fellow teammates and solidified the commanding victory. 

“This particular season has been tough, but also great for us all. We all have seasons that are unpredictable, presents us with challenges, and tests us. Young people need to understand that if you do the right things when you’re supposed to, follow directions, and try your best, most times things work out pretty well,” head coach Ty Hallock spoke postgame. “Football encompasses all of those things and provides us an opportunity to learn these lessons. Our guys this year did just that. They are great young people who will do well in the future by having the experiences that we have had in this shortened season.”

Through the thick and thin, Hallock and his team have proved themselves to have notable mental toughness. This grit and determination have caused them to be exceptionally successful this season.

The Rangers could not have asked for a better final game, ending the season with high spirits and a 5-1 record. Regardless of small instances of struggle and facing considerable amounts of adversity, the JV football team capped off a magnificent year with another dominating victory. The extent of success for the team this season is nothing short of remarkable; the overall performance saw the group capitalize on a short, yet power-packed year.