JT Hartman leads the way for JV football in a 28-0 onslaught against Northview

Following a monumental rivalry win against East Grand Rapids, the JV football team competed in the season’s penultimate game in a heated matchup with Northview. Possessing tremendous momentum and confidence, the Rangers outperformed the Wildcats in almost every facet of the game. With a particularly impressive performance from freshman JT Hartman, FHC dominated Northview in a convincing 28-0 victory.

A common thread from the Rangers’ season thus far has been the outstanding defensive accomplishments. The defense did not deter from its previous success against Northview, shutting out yet another opponent. Early on in the game, the stoutness of the Ranger defense was evident. FHC did not allow a drive of over 30 yards combined until deep into the second quarter, proving that their mental toughness and determination can single-handedly win games. 

After a sluggish start for the offense, the Rangers finally broke through as JT Hartman scored on the ground for a touchdown. JT is the leading scorer for FHC this season and has established himself as a threat for years to come. As just a measly freshman, it is difficult to overlook JT’s ability and talent as he progresses within the program. 

“A key to my confidence this year has been trusting my coaches and teammates,” Hartman said following his impressive outing. “[Northview’s] defensive looks allowed us to run the ball up the middle and pass with success.”

As the young bull of the team, JT has put his faith in others as makes perpetual strides in his skillset. This type of selflessness and willingness to trust the coaches and players is vital for creating a winning attitude.  

Hartman’s early-game efforts set the stage for an eventual offensive onslaught. However, this domination did not come until later in the game. In the meantime, the FHC defense continued to shine. Sophomore Magnus Salmon came up with a clutch interception midway through the second quarter, adding another defensive feat to a unit that has been consistent all season long. Northview was unable to crack the FHC defense in what would be a long, dreadful night for the Wildcat offense. Even after a seemingly commanding first half, the Rangers led by a score of 6-0 heading into halftime. 

“Our halftime speech was certainly heated,” head coach Ty Hallock said postgame. “Our kids responded well and answered the call of executing what we were asking them to do.”

Hallock also admitted that his team has had relatively slow starts in the first half of previous games. Despite the lack of scoring in the first half against Northview, FHC made up for it by putting on an exhibition in the second half.  

Coming out of the halftime break, the Ranger offense went straight to work. An ostensibly endless drive for FHC was enough to appear in the scoring column once more. JT Hartman scored yet again on a running play, as well as punching in a two-point conversion. A 14-0 lead gave the defense all the cushion that it needed to pull out a win. As if a two-possession lead was not sufficient by itself, the Rangers converted on another meticulous drive down the field, ending in a touchdown reception for freshman Levi McKenzie to increase the lead to 22 points. Finally, adding insult to injury, sophomore Raymond Cargill scored a touchdown in the final minutes. The final score of 28-0 displayed the true domination that occurred; FHC had shown up to play, especially in the second half. 

“I think as our season nears its end, this particular group has shown that they have some great potential, but as I have told them many times that potential does not win the race,” Hallock added after the game. “They need to put in the work, be self-disciplined, do their job at a high level, and always rely on one another as teammates to help them get through adverse situations. This group definitely has a bright future.” These words of encouragement just show the level of respect and pride that the coaching staff has for the young group of football players.

The victory moves the Rangers to 4-1 on the season. Prior to the boys’ final game, FHC stands near the top of the OK White conference, although there are no official standings. The final opponent of the year is the Lowell Red Arrows, and will cap off another JV football season.