Boys JV basketball cruises past Greenville 68-43

The boys JV basketball team downed Greenville 68-43 on Tuesday night. The Rangers had twelve players score, including six of them scoring 5 points or more. Sophomore Matthew Seurynck led the scoring column for the Rangers with eleven points. 

“The big win last night against Greenville is just another step into making our team goal of winning the conference title,” Seurynck said. 

Sophomore Luke VanGorp handled the ball very well and was able to knock down a couple of big shots. He came off of the bench early in the game and was a key player in the Rangers’ blowout win. 

“I thought we played pretty good in the first quarter and we started to get a big lead going into the second quarter and eventually the second half,” VanGorp said. “Going into halftime, we were up by about 20 points and we were playing very well. We kept the intensity high in the second half, which enabled us to win by around 25 points.”

The Rangers limited the Yellow Jackets’ scoring thanks to aggressive defense; sophomore Drew Fortino came off of the bench and played lockdown defense. His ability to create turnovers led to transition layups time and time again. He also contributed on the offensive side, scoring four points. 

The Rangers are now 9-1 on the season and are very much in contention for the conference title. This Thursday, the boys will play Byron Center, who has given the Rangers trouble in the past. The Bulldogs have pulled up a couple of freshmen to compete at the junior varsity level; FHC will need to make some adjustments. 

“Our next game against Byron should be a pretty good match-up,” VanGorp said. “They were among our better competition last year, so it should be a tough one, but I know we can pull it off.”