Boys freshman basketball survives to beat Grand Rapids Christian 57-51 in a back-and-forth battle

Heading into the highly-anticipated game against Grand Rapids Christian, the boys freshman basketball team had not yet faced a team that could match its height and strength.

The boys were used to punishing their opponents through post-ups and other paint action. But, in their matchup with Grand Rapids Christian, the boys were matched by GRC’s stature and physicality. 

To start the game, Grand Rapids Christian got out early and pressured the Rangers through a full-court man press. The Eagles didn’t shy away from physical defense, as they were called for many first-half fouls. After a few steals from Brendan Cargill, the Rangers trailed after the first quarter.

FHC’s second-quarter defense elevated its play, which led to a 27-24 halftime score after the sporadic quarter. A similar story happened in the third quarter when the Rangers were down 8, but after a 10-0 run and a few Brendan Cargill three’s, the Rangers led 42-40 going into the fourth quarter.

Head coach Gordon Shields and the team showed out in the game-winning fourth quarter. Seder Middaugh and Malik Thomas controlled the paint while Tyler Dickinson and Denis Medic knocked down some detrimental threes. The Rangers escaped another close game, winning by a score of 57-51.   

The boys freshman basketball team adds to its impressive win total with its eight wins on the season.

On Tuesday, January 25, the 8-1 Rangers will look to keep their seven-game winning streak alive against the Greenville Yellow Jackets.