Boys freshman basketball heats up after going 1-1 in the past four days

Heading into Friday’s game against East Kentwood, the boys freshman basketball team were winless against the Falcons in the past five years. The struggle of defending the run and jump has consistently haunted the freshman program at FHC. Head coach Gordon Shields headed into the game with a completely different attitude.

“We know we have to handle the pressure EK is bringing at us, and if we play smart, I’m confident that we’ll come out on top,” coach Shields said.

FHC faced early adversity as the Falcons aggressive defense controlled portions of the game. The Rangers fought from behind for most of the game until a defensive spark from Isaiah  Wright brought FHC into winning range. East Kentwood controlled most of the game with its speed and full-court pressure until the fourth quarter, when FHC broke even with three minutes. The ultimate downfall for the Rangers was scoring in the last three minutes of the game. A streaky East Kentwood team found its rhythm in the final three minutes to win the game 51-41. Turning the ball over may have cost the Rangers the victory, as they had 23 turnovers.

Although the Rangers lost, they had a quick turnaround as they faced Pewamo-Westphalia in the Cornerstone Holiday Tournament. The team emphasized a quick start and did just that. With a bad taste in their mouth after the East Kentwood game, the Rangers came out fast and dominated. FHC was the aggressor in this game, totaling a crazy 65 deflections in the game. They also out-rebounded the Pirates by 19, which led to a 74-25 win for the Rangers. 

Every active player scored for the Rangers against the Pirates. Braedon Rozema led all scorers with 12 points, followed by a 10 point performance from Denis Medic and Max Holser. Brendan Cargill and Seder Middaugh both added eight points as well. 

After winning its first game in the Cornerstone Tournament, the freshman team will face Hudsonville in its division’s championship game. Hudsonville is a fundamental program, so this game should be a huge challenge for the Rangers. The Rangers face the Eagles on Wednesday for the Cornerstone Tournament Championship.