Freshman boys basketball team looks unstoppable in 64-22 win versus Forest Hills Eastern

Heading into the 2021-22 campaign, the boys freshmen basketball team had a lot of uncertainty about its next coach. After a short but dominant run, coaches Adam Monroe and Matthew Ellis decided to leave the program for better opportunities. In their three years together, the two won multiple conference championships.

Now, former JV interim head coach, Gordon Shields, has taken over the reins as the freshman head coach. 

The newly equipped freshman team opened the year against Forest Hills Eastern. Coming into the season, the freshman team possessed some of the tallest players it’s ever had, with multiple players above 6’4. With lots of height and ferocious defense, the boys overwhelmed the Hawks right out of the gate. They crashed the boards on every shot attempt, which led FHC to 13 more rebounds than the Hawks. They also had an astonishing 33 deflections, which showed how active the defense was. While forcing many turnovers, the Rangers handled the pressure well by only committing seven turnovers in the four quarters. After a pleasing performance from FHC, the team defeated the Hawks 64-22. 

“We completely overwhelmed them in every aspect of the game,” head coach Gordon Shields said. “With our size, speed, and tough defense, we were able to control the pace of the game.” 

The freshman basketball team starts the season 1-0 after the impressive win against FHE. The group has a lot of time to prepare for the next opponent: East Kentwood. The boys take on a tough defensive team in the Falcons but have until Thursday to tighten up.