Girls varsity basketball prepares for a big 2021-22 season with a young core

The girls varsity basketball team went 7-6 last year after almost missing out on a season altogether with COVID, losing to Lowell in the opening round of districts. This season, the girls look to bounce back with a young, yet very solid core. 

“We’re very young this year,” head coach Kristina Prins said. “We want to improve and worry about one game at a time.”

One of the key returners from last year is senior– and Michigan State commit–Theryn Hallock. Last year, Theryn was the key piece for the Rangers, averaging over 15 points a game and surpassing the 1,000 career point mark–something that only six FHC basketball players have ever done. With Theryn running the offense, the Rangers are set up for a lot of success. A couple of other key returners are juniors Thea Sloat and Delaney Smith, who have both been playing varsity ball since their freshman years. They will each play shooting guard and small forward for the team, establishing a terrific “big 3”. 

Along with such returners comes a younger core as well. One key underclassman is sophomore Ashtyn Scarlato. Ashtyn saw considerable minutes last year and looks to improve off of a very solid year full of great defense and playmaking. Other young faces that are new to the team are sophomore Maggie Sneider and freshman Jordan Koning. Maggie is a taller forward that can play the center position for the team, while Jordan is a guard with a lot of shooting ability. If this young core has a breakout year, the Rangers have a recipe for disaster for the other teams in the OK White.

Overall, the Rangers are very excited to get back onto the hardwood, especially with a student section and the fans being back. With a new atmosphere, the Rangers will look to feed off of the great home crowds all season long.

“Just getting the atmosphere back in the gym with fans, players, and parents is great,” coach Prins said. “It brings a different level of competition to the gym and makes every game feel great.”

The girls will open up their season tonight, December 3, against the Wyoming Wolves at home at 7 PM. 

Editor’s Note: If you plan on attending the game tonight, please wear blue and gold in honor of Oxford.