Girls JV golf suffers a close loss to Forest Hills Northern

Walking up to hole one, freshman Abby Schnelker was ready to tee off. She smashed her driver, and her ball traveled down the fairway. As the match went by, she kept her stroke count low and her confidence high. Abby would go on to lead the Rangers with a 46 against one of the toughest teams this season: Forest Hills Northern. Last Wednesday, the girls JV golf team faced off against Northern at the Huskies’ home course, Indian Trails, and put up quite the fight. 

The Huskies shot an impressive 182, with their best player scoring a 38. They took down FHC 182-199 in a close match that showed just how talented both sides are. Behind Abby’s 46 strokes, sophomore Claire Marvin, freshmen Emmary McKee, Estella Yaw, and Izzie Scholler all shot 51. Considering that four out of the five girls on the team are freshmen, this was an impressive scoring day for the girls. Match after match, the team has proven its dedication to the game—everyone has pulled their weight on the golf course. Now, with a 6-2 record for the season, the drive to win only builds. The girls’ work ethic for each event has blown head coach Chris Sobieck away. 

“The [team’s] strengths are that the teammates all like one another, and there is good team chemistry,” coach Sobieck said. 

Part of chemistry also fills in when a girl can’t make a match and possibly take a risk without them. This season, the team has many shining players that have been consistent front runners at the end of the game; even when key players have a conflict and can’t play, the girls pick up the slack and get the job done. 

“Our leading player so far, Quinn Breslin, was out today, as was Josie Crosse due to soccer,” coach Sobieck recalled. “The team stepped up in their absences.”

The girls have also been really proud of each other’s achievements. Sophomore Kiera Kemppainen has had only good things to say this season about her teammates and how they have gotten to know each other. 

“It has been really great getting to know the girls and growing our team with new girls and talent,” Kiera said. “I am really proud of how we have done and how the freshmen have gotten used to the team.” 

Fellow sophomore Claire Marvin said something similar about the girls and talked about how she has really enjoyed the new freshmen on the team this year.

“They are really fun to be around and have a lot of energy,” Claire said. “It is really great having all the girls on the team come together at practice and matches.” 

The Rangers have already beaten six teams this season, making them a worthy opponent for anyone that comes their way. However, the girls aren’t done winning just yet. The girls still have five matches before the end of September against numerous teams, including Byron Center and Grand Rapids Christian. The ladies will also face off against Northview yet again, where they will attempt to stay on top and defeat them for the second time this season. FHC’s next opponent is East Grand Rapids on Monday, September 20. The girls plan to continue their fantastic win record and make up for the close loss against the Forest Hills Northern Huskies.