Q & A with skier, sophomore Chloe Cox

Name: Chloe Cox

Sport: Ski

Grade: Sophomore

How long have you been skiing?

“I have been ski racing for 6 years.”

What other sports do you play at FHC?

“In addition to skiing, I also play varsity tennis.”

What is your best memory from your time skiing?

“One of my favorite memories is going up with the FHC team to Caberfae last season; it was a nice way to connect with everyone and be able to race on a larger hill with steeper terrain. States was very fun as well, and I really enjoyed getting to race at Boyne Mountain, which is a great resort and has amazing food, and spending quality time with my coaches and teammates.”

What are the strengths of this year’s team?

“The FHC team this year has a ton of experienced, talented racers. Everyone is very motivated to do well and we all try to keep a good attitude and stay positive.”

What are your individual goals for this season? 

“This season, I hope to continue to ski well and have some solid results. I was very fortunate to have gone to States last year individually, but it would be amazing to go again with the team.”

Who is the biggest influence in your athletic career and why?

“My dad is the biggest influence and supporter. He has skied his entire life and got me into the sport of ski racing. My dad was a tennis coach as well and inspired me to start playing tennis. He gives great advice and is extremely patient, and we have shared many early mornings on the ski hill or at the courts together.”

Do you have any superstitions associated with your meets?

“I don’t have a ton of superstitions, but I do always click my boots into my skis the same way: the right, then the left. For tennis, I like to have a pink grip on my racquet, and I bounce the ball three times before I serve.”

What is your favorite class this year and why?

“My favorite class this year is AP US History with Mr. Labenz. It is a very difficult course with a lot of reading, but I find the work very rewarding and I enjoy learning about history in detail. Mr. Labenz is an excellent teacher, and we have a lot of creative assignments and discussions that make the class interesting. I’ve also really liked Spanish 4 with Senor Silvestre because we only speak in Spanish, and I feel like I’ve benefited a lot from the full linguistic immersion.”