The home for coverage of all FHC athletics

Letizia Cumbo-Nacheli looks to have tremendous success in bowling this season

This year the girls bowling team is led by Letizia Cumbo-Nacheli. Ever since joining the bowling team last year she has helped lead this team in multiple ways, and will continue this year to help lead the team to new success. She joined bowling for the relaxed aspect of it.

“I like bowling because it is relaxing, and it’s fun to do with your friends,” Cumbo-Nacheli said. “There is not as much pressure to perform well compared to other sports.”

Bowling is a unique sport, it oftentimes doesn’t require as much work but it still requires its own set of unique qualities. It has a lot of benefits that come with the sport; the bond and welcomingness of it are just a few to highlight.

“The best qualities of the bowling team are how welcoming and supportive we are,” Cumbo-Nacheli said. “It feels like a family and we all have the same 12-year-old boy humor so practices and games are so much fun.”

Along with bowling, every athlete creates superstitions: a form of tasks before each game that help them feel more prepared or ready for the match ahead. Cumbo-Nacheli has a very specific pre-game routine that may not be what people are used to seeing. But that’s the beauty of superstitions.

“I get a Culvers’ concrete mixer, it’s a chocolate one with M and Ms,” Cumbo-Nacheli said. “I ride with Stella, Cambrie and my sister to get hype pre-game. I put my right shoe on first and I listen to my pre-game playlist.”

Most athletes have gotten inspiration from someone important, like Cumbo-Nacheli has.

“My best friend Courtney Delaney was and still is my biggest role model and has always encouraged me to keep bowling,” Cumbo-Nacheli said. “She has supported me from the very beginning and still continues to support me. She pretty much taught me how to bowl by guiding me.”

This year Cumbo-Nacheli has some personal goals and accomplishments, and she is off to a hot start. She has already completed two things she was unable to do in her first year. Letizia is looking to continue to push farther every day to continue to achieve these goals.

“My best accomplishment is placing sixth at the pre-conference tournament this year,” Cumbo-Nacheli said. “And winning a medal for making the top ten all-tournament team!”

Outside of bowling, Cumbo-Nacheli spends her time doing a lot of other things. She has a plethora of hobbies that keep her busy when she is not doing school or bowling.

“I like to hang out with family and friends, get food, and shop,” Cumbo-Nacheli said. “Also baking, shopping, getting my nails done, doing homework, and cleaning.”

Sports can always teach us that there is a deeper meaning to life, and that is exactly what bowling has done for Cumbo-Nacheli.

“It builds patience, so it helped me during volleyball this year having patience with other teammates,” Cumbo-Nacheli said. “Bowling also teaches you sportsmanship because you bond with the opposing team so you learn how to be kind to everyone.”

View Comments (1)