Theryn Hallock scores her 1,000th point as girls varsity basketball falls to Byron Center 65-42

It was all going smoothly for junior Theryn Hallock last night, as she scored her 1,000th point in her high school career. However, this wasn’t enough as girls varsity basketball still fell to Byron Center last night 65-41, halting the girls’ four-game winning streak. Even if the loss was devastating, it was still a great night with Theryn making history in the FHC girls basketball program. 

As the Rangers were going into their game last night against the Bulldogs, they were riding a hot hand with winning four games in a row and were looking to avenge their previous loss to Byron Center back in late February. As the game started though, the Rangers just looked outmatched by the Bulldogs as they looked strong coming out.

As the first quarter started, the Lady Rangers started out hot. With Theryn making what seemed like every shot she took along with senior Zoe Lipke, the Rangers looked to make a comeback on an already large Byron Center lead. As the first quarter came to a close, the Rangers were still down but were looking to make a run to start off the second quarter.

Once the second quarter started rolling, the Rangers did just what they wanted to and got rolling. With Theryn, Zoe, and senior Brittney Probst getting a lot of the scores for the Lady Rangers, FHC cut the deficit to within 5 points, and they looked to capitalize on the Bulldogs struggles. As the quarter went on though, Byron Center’s three-point attack went into full swing. They went on a big run, as the Rangers were now down by double digits going into the second half.

The Rangers were riding the hot hand in Theryn to lead them to a big comeback in the second half. Long story short, the Bulldogs were just hitting everything in the second half as the Rangers deficit kept growing. Even if the likes of freshman Ashtyn Scarlato and sophomore Delaney Smith gave the Rangers some great minutes off the bench, it was just not enough for the Bulldogs’ lethal shooting attack. As the half came to a close, it was all Byron Center as the Lady Rangers lost 65-42.

The Rangers have ended the regular season at 7-5 and will now move on to Districts next week Monday against Lowell at Lowell High School at 7 PM.