Q and A with varsity swimmer, sophomore Maggie Holt

Name: Maggie Holt

Class: Sophomore

Sport: Varsity swim and dive

How long have you been swimming?

“I have been swimming around 6-7 years. I started swimming club in 5th grade with Rays.”

What other sports do you play at FHC?

“I play JV water polo. Last year was my first year with polo but I instantly connected with it, along with my teammates.”

What is your best memory from your time on the team?

“My favorite memory from my time on the team would probably be last year’s after-state dinner we had at Mady Scarlato’s house. The state meet hadn’t gone the best for anyone, and there was some delusional crying, but it turned into a big bonding moment for all of the state girls.”

What are the team’s biggest strengths this season?

“I think we have many strengths this year along with many weaknesses. I think our whole team morale is absolutely amazing, with everyone cheering and hyping people up at meets and practices. I think that’s boosted us to become a better team.

Who is the biggest influence in your athletic career? 

“I would have to say my mom is my biggest influence. She swam at MSU and really encouraged me through my journey into the swimming world. But I would also have to say my club coach Mike is also very influential to me. He has really helped me get past roadblocks and overcome a lot in my career thus far.”

Who’s your favorite professional athlete?

“I would have to say Regan Smith. I’ve always looked up to her since she swims the 100m and 200m backstroke which are also my two main events. Watching her compete in the Olympics and other championships has been really inspired me to keep swimming.”

What are your individual goals for the season?

“One of my main goals for this season is to break a minute in the 100m Backstroke. I have been really close for a while, and it would be a good breakthrough for me.”

What are your favorite things to do outside of swimming?

“My favorite things to do are: sleeping, going out with my friends, hanging out with my boyfriend, and working out. I love going out to eat with friends as well.”