Girls JV basketball splits 1-1 in its two previous OK White conference games

Zoe Lipke, Sports Reporter

This past week, sophomore Maya Holser led the girls JV basketball team in both points and rebounds in their two games. The team took on the Forest Hills Northern Huskies first, but ultimately fell to them with a score of 39-21. Despite their defeat, they bounced right back in their next game against the Grand Rapids Christian Eagles, winning 37-29.  

Going into the game against the Huskies, the girls were looking to flip their results from the last time when they lost 39-26. However, the Huskies came out strong knocking down shot after shot from outside of the paint and took a quick lead in the first quarter setting the tone for the rest of the game. There were several Rangers who stood out for their performances despite their loss. Freshmen Maggie Sneider and Maya combined for twenty of the teams 21 points. These two had huge impacts in the post, securing both offensive and defensive rebounds for the Rangers. Alongside them was sophomore Frankie Sutton, who despite not having an impact on points, played a huge part in controlling the game as the point guard. 

As the Rangers headed into their game against the Eagles, they were not only looking to redeem themselves after their loss to the Huskies, but they were also determined to defeat the Eagles for a second time this season. The Rangers started off strong from the beginning of the game to the end and were able to beat the Eagles even with several big players out due to contact-tracing. Maya, once again, played a massive role adding 19 points of her own. She was able to run the floor, which also assisted the Lady Rangers with Frankie finding her on the long pass. Freshmen Claire Marvin and Maggie Kelderman combined for eight points as well. These two were able to work the ball around on offense, finding open layups on several occasions. The last nine points went to Frankie who was able to knock down her jumpers from outside of the paint. 

The girls JV basketball team will head to Wyoming High School on Saturday, March 13 to take on the Wolves in their first non-conference game of the season. After this week of games, the Rangers are now holding a 3-7 record overall, looking to improve upon that with their few games left.