The home for coverage of all FHC athletics

Goodbye Miggy

Getty Images
TORONTO, ON – AUGUST 22: Miguel Cabrera #24 of the Detroit Tigers celebrates after hitting his 500th career home run in the sixth inning during a MLB game against the Toronto Blue Jays at Rogers Centre on August 22, 2021 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (Photo by Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images)

On December 7th, 2007, the Detroit Tigers sent seven guys down south in order to acquire Miguel Cabrera. He’s been on the Tigers for 16 seasons ever since. This week, he says his final goodbyes to the Detroit fanbase as he steps away from baseball. 

People had questions, wondering what made Miggy stick around. The opportunity arose for him to wander to a new home and potentially leave the Detroit Tigers, but he decided to live out his final years as a Tiger. He signed back with the organization in 2016. Cabrera had the decision to forego the option of free agency but chose to stick with Detroit, for this showed his deep-rooted loyalty to the team and the fanbase. His choosing to stay with Detroit will never be forgotten and shows he is truly in for the long run. 

Caberera’s impact on the fanbase cannot be overlooked. For over a decade, Miggy has been a key source of pride and inspiration for all of the Tiger fans. He had unwavering talents that took place on the field. However, it is not just his talents that endeared him to the fans; it’s his dedication and approachability off the field. He showed that he’s more than just a baseball player. Cabrera had a strong connection to the community of Detroit and is perceived as a beloved figure. Miggy created a non-profit organization to help offer hope to fulfill young athletes’ dreams. It was also to help support all Detroit communities. 

We can look to see what he has done to help rookies; it is amazing. Cabrera is a mentor to young players who hope to help build the organization. He has been one of the main people to teach Riley Greene, Spencer Torkelson, Kerry Carpenter, and Parker Meadows more about the game. They are all going to be pivotal for the organization moving forward without Miggy by their side. 

There will be a noticeable gap once he leaves. 

Now, we can look at what he has done on the field. First, he helped Detroit reach the 2012 World Series and also earned the triple crown that same year. His stats are very notable as well.  He accumulated 2,325 hits as a tiger and over 3000 in his career. He also has had 372 home runs within the Tigers franchise and just surpassed 500 home runs this past year. Just these stats alone are Hall of Fame worthy, but it doesn’t end there. Miggy has earned an abundance of awards. He has been elected to 12 all-stars games, 7 Silver Slugger awards, 2 AL MVPs, the triple crown, and is also a 4x batting champion. 

Miguel will be missed deeply by everyone who has followed and supported him as a Tiger.

Goodbye Miguel Cabrera.