MSU football’s uncertain season: Mel Tucker issue, Spartans win commandingly in the second game of the season

Only two weeks into the season, and we already have a big problem. Our head coach has been suspended and will most likely be fired.

Just hours after the MSU vs.Richmond football game, news broke out that Michigan State’s head coach, Mel Tucker, was the subject of a sexual harassment investigation going on at MSU. The report was filed by Brenda Tracey, who is a sexual assault prevention advocate. Tucker called all of the things that happened between them “mutually consensual and intimate.”

Tucker is in his fourth year coaching at MSU, and back in November of 2021, he signed a contract extension that would pay him $95 million over the next ten years. Tucker’s contract states that the school will be able to fire him “if the coach engaged in any conduct which constitutes moral turpitude or, which in the university’s reasonable judgment, would tend to bring public disrespect, contempt or ridicule on the university.”

Since Tucker is suspended, MSU has brought in Harlon Barnett to take the role of the interim head coach for the football team. Also, former MSU head coach Mark Dantonio is back with the football team and agreed to be Barnett’s associate head coach. Barnett was a three-year starter at defensive back for MSU. He played from 1986-89. Barnett has spent 15 out of his 20 years of coaching football at MSU. He also spent three years as an assistant and associate head coach back when Dantonio was the head coach.

In other news, the Spartans dominated Richmond in their second game of the season. The final score was MSU 45 Richmond 14.

For almost the whole game, the offense for the Spartans was rolling. The offense finished the game with 303 passing yards and 162 rushing yards. One of the highlights of the game, in my opinion, was a 52-yard field goal by our kicker, Jonathan Kim. When I saw that they were going for a field goal, I wasn’t so sure about the decision. But once I saw Kim kick the ball, I knew it would be a close one. The ball soared through the air and bounced off of the crossbar upwards and through the field goalposts. Knowing we have a good kicker this year is a relief because last year, MSU had some major problems with field goals.

Also, the defense did amazing this game. Our defense held Richmond to 118 yards in the air and just 75 yards on the ground. The Spartan defense also got seven sacks and 13 tackles for loss. The only reason Richmond scored 14 points was because of our backup running backs not being able to hold onto the football. In the 4th quarter, the MSU offense had two fumbles, one of which was returned by Aaron Banks of Richmond for a 47-yard defensive touchdown. The other fumble was recovered by Richmond, who then marched 25 yards to score another touchdown.

Overall, the Spartans had a good game on both sides of the ball. Their next game is against Washington, who is ranked 8th in the nation. The game is going to be the first real test for the Spartans. Even though our head coach is suspended, I think that this team still has potential and maybe could squeak out a huge win this week.