Boys swim and dive wins last dual meet against Northview to head into conference with an even record

Last night the boys swim and dive team faced off against the Northview Wildcats. Feeling pretty confident, the boys did not all swim their best events but still managed to win nine of the 12 events. The Rangers ended up beating the Wildcats with a hefty score of 102-76. Although the team is on the smaller side, they have lots of talent, and the boys were able to take first and second place in many events.

We were competitive in every event, and that’s what we’ve tried to do all season,” head coach Dennis Neat said. “With the lack of overall depth, we’ve had to make sure that we were competitive in as many races as possible to have any chances of winning our meets. Our top three from the Northview meet were Avery LeTourneau, Reed Dixon, and Isaac Stewart.”

Starting off with the 200 medley relay, the A relay team of sophomores Ben Rogala and Gavin Cai, senior Avery LeTourneau, and junior Roman Kalaczinski swam a time of 1:43.97. Following close behind them was the B relay team of freshman Reed Dixon, and juniors Benji Zorn, Sam Yeager, and Alex Schenck. That team went a time of 1:45.23, helping the Rangers beat all four of Northview’s relay teams.

In the following event, the Rangers won the 200 freestyle, sweeping their opponent by winning first through fourth place. Winning for the Rangers was sophomore Isaac Stewart with a very fast time of 1:54.40. Placing second was junior Andrew Kerssies, followed by sophomore Aden Pomeroy and freshman Dylan Pomery.

Then, in the 50 freestyle, the Rangers were able to take first and second place from the Wildcats. Avery won the event with a state-qualifying time of 22.45, and Reed followed close behind with a time of 23.40.

During the diving portion of the meet, juniors Will Becker and Cole Hysong both had great performances. Cole won the event with an impressive score of 262, and Will followed close behind with a score of 201.75, taking third place.

Later in the meet, the Rangers again won first through fourth place again in the 100 freestyle. Leading the pack was Ben Rogala with a very fast time of 53.56. Coming in second with a time of 55.93 was Aden Pomeroy. Andrew Kerssies and Dylan Pomeroy then came in close behind the others.

“I think the team swam really well last night,” Roman said. “These last few weeks of training have been rough as we make our way towards taper and the conference meet next week, so we were all a little tired, but we definitely gave it our all.”

Nearing the end of the meet, the Rangers kept up their momentum in the 100 backstroke. Winning first, second, and third place, the team was in the clear for winning the meet. Avery won the event with a season-best time of 54.72. Isaac Stewart also had an astonishing time of 105.61, just off his season-best time. 

Finally, the boys rallied at the end and came out on top in the 400 freestyle relay. The A relay team of Ben Rogala, Isaac Stewart, Reed Dixon, and Avery LeTourneau came first, swimming a time of 3:26.03. Placing second with a time of 3:54.11 was the B relay team of Alex Schenck, Aden Pomeroy, Dylan Pomeroy, and Andrew Kerssies.

“I think the team is looking good for conference next week, ” said Roman when asked how he thinks the boys will perform at their conference meet next weekend. “We have been an underdog all season since we have such a small team, but we have proved that we can hang with everyone else.”

The Rangers had a tough start due to low team numbers with COVID-19 contact tracing, so they are hoping to prove themselves next weekend.

Heading into our conference tournament, we are still looking for some state qualifying times, but the team has been focused every day and has taken this opportunity to have a season as a blessing after losing out on our state meet last year at the last minute,” Neat added.

The divers will compete at East Grand Rapids on Thursday night starting at 5 PM. The swimmers will compete on Friday at Northview starting at 4:30 PM.

The truth in sports is all about the talent no matter how many or how few you have. And we’ve had plenty of talent this year to be competitive,” said Neat.