On the green: former Hope College golf star finds success in mini-tour event

Joe Murdock, Sports Reporter

Josh Gibson graduated from Hope College in May of 2019 with the best scoring average in school history of 72.5. Gibson finished runner-up in the 2019 Division III national championship with a score of 1-under par for the tournament. His accomplishments at the Division III level are unsurpassed by any other collegiate golfer.

The most prestigious feat of Gibson’s college career is being the only two-time recipient of the Jack Nicklaus Division III player of the year award. This honor is awarded to the best player in all of Division III golf, and to earn this honor two years in a row is unheard of in the collegiate golf world.

Gibson won the 2017 National Championship in a playoff with a score of 287, which is 1-under par. The event held at Mission Hills Golf Club in Florida resulted in a team title for Wittenburg University out of Springfield, Ohio.; however, Gibson outlasted Wittenburg’s Garrett Brickley on the first playoff hole to claim the individual title. Gibson was the first player from Hope to win the National Championship individually. Two years later in 2019, he attempted a return to the winners’ circle but fell just short to Sam Goldenring from Williams College.

Gibson was a leader for the Flying Dutchmen. During his time at Hope College, Gibson led the team to four straight NCAA tournament appearances, where three out of the four resulted in a top-10 finish for the Dutchmen.

He is now pursuing a professional career on the Korn Ferry Tour. Gibson recently cashed out at the Big Money Golf Classic in Longwood Florida finishing in solo second with a score of 8-under par. The winner, Adam Svensson, finished at 9-under par, outlasting Gibson’s final round push of 64 by one stroke. Josh Gibson was in contention for the outright lead heading into the back nine of the final round. A costly double bogey on the par-four 14th greatly damaged his chances to win. However, his second-place finish led to a 50,000 dollar paycheck for Gibson. Clearly, this is just the beginning of Josh Gibson’s professional golf career.

The future is bright for Gibson as he continues to pursue his dreams. The work that he put in at Hope College has played a key role in his recent success. The legacy that he left behind at Hope will be remembered and honored for years to come.