Forest Hills gymnastics competes against Haslett High School

The team talking among each other.

The Forest Hills gymnastics team faced off against Haslett High School this Friday, January 20. The girls obtained an overall score of 131.575 and fell just short of their opposition.

Similar to their previous competition, the ladies were split up into separate teams. The first team secured a score of 131.575, and the second team had a score of 104.975.

In preparation for the match, the girls worked extremely hard to improve their previous scores. They spent lots of time in the gym.

“We all worked on repetition of our skills and continued working on upgrading our skills, as well as tumbling,” senior Lauren Wolffis said.

The energy was good, but slightly off.

“Our environment was a bit different since it was an hour away, nevertheless the energy was high our whole time there,” said senior Maddy Bachert.

The highest score of the first team consisted of an 8.5 on vault by junior Rachael “Jo” Yeager. Rachael also obtained the highest scores on floor and bars; she got an 8.8 and a 7.95. For beam, senior captain Abby Cummings scored an 8.625 on beam.

As for the second team, sophomore Claire Worth managed to attain every high score. She had an 8.9 on the vault, 7.7 on bars, 8.525 on beam, and an 8.55 on the floor.

Overall, the ladies still, unfortunately, fell short of Haslett. Reflecting on the competition, Lauren looks for both the pros and cons.

“We could have been way better at keeping positive energy throughout the whole meet, but we definitely were better at cheering on our team at this meet than the previous ones,” she said.

Looking ahead, the girls always will have something to tackle. From turn to tumble, jump to giant, the ladies will continue to grind to improve.

“Every day we will keep on working hard so we can manage to nail every routine,” said junior Addison Hoxworth.

The gymnasts will be competing again on Monday, January 23. They will be traveling to Kenowa Hills High School and going up against their gymnasts at 6:30 p.m.