Fall, winter or spring: Which sports season is the best?

As we all know, the athletes at Forest Hills Central High School are some of the best around, and our reputation in athletics in the state is stellar. Sports are such an integral part of FHC, and the importance of them here is very great. Each sports season, whether it be fall, winter, or spring, never fails to bring its own glory to the school. With each season comes another chance for a team or player to showcase the talent, and the anticipation leading up to each bundle of months reigns high. Each sport is affected differently due to the attributes of the season in which the sport is played, so that brings up the everlasting debate: Which season is the best?

This is an argument that always makes for fiery opinions-oftentimes the loyalty each athlete has to his or her season is unmatched. I am admittedly a victim of that. Each season is equally impressive in most aspects, but for me, the answer is obvious. Whenever I’m asked which sports season at FHC I enjoy most, the answer is always spring.

It can be argued that fall sports are the best due to the unparalleled atmosphere of football games or because fall means cross country. For a more profound meaning, I have to acknowledge that the ambiance of fall with the comings of leaves and pumpkin spice lattes is an extremely special thing, and playing a sport during that time can be quite memorable. Quite possibly some may believe winter sports reign above the other seasons, for that’s when hockey and basketball take the stage!

Regardless, I think there is a feeling to spring sports that the other sports seasons simply cannot match. Many can probably assent that in general, second semester has quite a different aura than the first semester. The excitement second semester brings with the end of the school year, the hustle and bustle of studying for AP tests, and the ever-warming weather inflicts a feverishness in us that cannot be felt during first semester. For me, that feeling is greatly heightened during the springtime, and I would be in remiss to admit that it may be because of the wonderful coincidence that my sport is in the spring.

I confess that my feelings stem from the bias and the loyalty I have to the sport of tennis. Tennis has always been a wildly important fixture in my life, and winning matches is an amazing feeling that never gets old. Actually, I think I’m addicted to it. Competing and racking up wins brings a familiarity to the year that I treasure. That ratification combined with the elatedness that comes at the end of the school year always makes the spring months a wonderful place to be. I highly encourage everyone to go out and enjoy the other two high school sports seasons and all that they encompass, but in my humble opinion, make time for the better of the three and take in everything that is the springtime.