Rangers pick up District semifinal win over East Kentwood Falcons

Zoe Lipke, Sports Reporter

Last night, the varsity volleyball team took on the East Kentwood Falcons in the District semifinals. This game would prove to either end the Rangers season or allow them to continue on to the next round. The Rangers came out and dominated the Falcons, winning in just three sets for the third game in a row.

The Falcons kept a close following to the Rangers throughout the entirety of the game, as the first set concluded with a score of 25-20 in the Rangers favor. The next set was very similar; the Rangers came out strong, but so did the Falcons. However, the Rangers were the ones who emerged victorious, with a score of 25-21. In the next set, the Rangers continued to show their dominance. They started off with a lead and held on to it, finishing the third set with a score of 25-18.

Senior Julia Bouma and junior Sophie Shields were the dominant force for the Rangers on the defensive side of the game. The two combined for a total of 31 digs off of the Falcons offensive attacks and 38 total serve receives. Sophomore Sarah Dunn and senior Tatum Otolski were some of the prominent players on the offensive side of the Rangers. The duo had 3 kills on the Falcons defense, adding 30 attacks as well.

With this win, the varsity volleyball team will move on to compete against the Lowell Red Arrows in the District Finals. The game will take place this Saturday, November 7, at East Grand Rapids High School at 10:30 AM. If the Rangers can pull off this win, they will proceed to the Regional tournament.