Varsity Volleyball concludes season with heartbreaking loss to Lowell Red Arrows

Zoe Lipke, Sports Reporter

With a heart-breaking conclusion, to an already odd season, the varsity volleyball team finished off their 11-6 season this past weekend in the district finals. The Rangers took on the Lowell Red Arrows who had been consecutive district champions for the past four years. The Red Arrows defeated the Rangers in three sets, and consequently, put an end to the Rangers season.

The game commenced, and throughout the first set, the Rangers and Red Arrows went back-and-forth with the lead. This continued on for the entirety of the set; however, the Rangers conceded the set to Lowell with a score of 25-21. The second set proved to be rough for the Ranger team. The Red Arrows’ stellar defense overpowered the Rangers’ offense, returning nearly every ball hit over the net with a counter-attack. By the end of the second set, the Rangers had fallen to the Red Arrows with a score of 25-15. The third set would be the end-all-be-all for the Rangers season. Since Lowell only needed one more set to secure their victory, the Rangers came out firing. They brought a fight to the Red Arrows in the final set, and kept a close following throughout the entire set; however, when the set came to a close the Red Arrows had pulled away with a win, 25-22.

In their final match of the season, there were several Ranger players who showed up and had a phenomenal performance. Senior Tatum Otolski played a massive part in the Rangers’ offense on Saturday. She led the team in kills with 14, she also had nine attacks along with one ace. Also on the offensive side, the duo of junior Sophie Shields and sophomore Sarah Dunn were powerhouses in the Rangers’ attack. The two combined for 14 kills, 32 attacks, and 11 digs. On the defensive side of the game senior Julia Bouma led the team in digs with a total of 10. Freshman Avery Weslow also was a great help on defense with ten digs, and she also had 7 attacks on offense.

With the loss to the Red Arrows, the varsity volleyball team concludes their season with a final record of 11-6.