JV and freshman football gives a local foe a game to remember

Another week has gone by at FHC, and with football well underway, that means OK White conference play for the Rangers. The JV and freshman boys have secured their third straight win since their opening loss to Jenison, and they are rolling. 

On Thursday, the Rangers faced off against the infamous East Grand Rapids Pioneers; both teams played a very tough and physical game.

The defense was the story in this game; EGR played well in the first half, “It was a tough game. We struggled in the first few quarters, but we were able to throw a gut punch in the second half of the game,” said sophomore Ty Ryan. “After the rough first two quarters, we were able to pull out the W.”

There were many fourth-down turnovers and punts, and sophomore Dennis Medic played a great game in the kicking department, flipping the field on many occasions. EGR got the first laugh and scored on their first possession of the game, with the team’s quarterback running it in for the score. That was pretty much it in the first half. The score after two-quarters of play was 6-0.

After halftime, the Rangers came out of the locker room almost the same with little offensive firepower. Sophomore Micah Meadow and the running department were busy for the whole game; Micah played well in the third quarter. The action started in the fourth quarter; right at the beginning of the fourth was when the Rangers started their first scoring drive. Sophomore Matthew Geib capped it off with a WR jet sweep into the endzone for six. Dennis made it seven with his extra point. East got the ball right back after the touchdown and fumbled after two plays in their go-ahead drive; Ty recovered. At this point in the game, the clock read 6:02 left in the last quarter, and the boys drove towards the endzone again. Sophomore Brady Osterhouse scored on a four-yard run making the score 14-6. That would end up being the last score of the game.

However, East did drive and made it inside the FHC twenty-yard line; the boys took a stand on the goal line and forced a four-and-out. FHC took over with 0:55 left in the game, Micah did the rest, and the Rangers hauled in the win, improving their record to 3-1. The JV and freshman boys will play again on Thursday, September 22, at home against Northview at 6:30 p.m.