The girls varsity soccer team scores itself a state title with a 2-1 win

Serena Thiede, Sports Reporter

Every team’s goal is to make it to the state finals and take home the championship trophy to add to the trophy case, and the girls varsity soccer team did just that with their amazing state title win.

“I told the girls before the game Saturday that no matter the results in the state finals we are all so proud of them,” head coach Ashley Ludtke said. “And this one game does not completely define their amazing season, but I am so happy they earned one last win to wrap up their final game of the season as the 2022 state champions.”

The Lady Rangers arrived in style with a police escort at Michigan State University at 4:00 p.m. on June 18, where they played against the 4-time defending champions from Bloomfield Hills Marian.

“It feels so amazing and it’s such a relief knowing that all of the hard work we all put in this season paid off,” senior Mattie Sexton said. “I am so proud of this team and will forever cherish this moment.”

Mattie wasn’t the only senior who couldn’t hold in her emotions about the big win.

“It feels incredible. I fully believed in this team and what we were capable of accomplishing,” fellow senior Katie Hubanis said. “I could not be happier to have ended my soccer career with winning states, and also with this team. I’m so proud of each and every one of these girls and will forever love RGSO.”

With an extremely close score of 2-1, the Lady Rangers claimed the state championship title to conclude the soccer season along with being the final spring sport to come to its conclusion. To cap off the sports season, both the girls soccer team and the boys lacrosse team will be recognized at the state championship flag-raising ceremony on Wednesday, June 22, at 4:00 p.m.

“I am thrilled for the team. And so incredibly proud of them in all they accomplished together this season. Conference champions, district champions, regional champions, and state champions,” coach Ludtke said. “It is such an exciting time for our girls their families and the FHC community. The setting for the game Saturday at MSU with the softball and baseball finals also happening made for a very electric environment for a high school sporting event.”