A clean sweep in doubles secures a 6-2 win for girls varsity tennis over Northview

Coming off of three consecutive losses, the girls varsity tennis team looked to rebound in a conference matchup with Northview. Facing just another opponent in the grueling OK White, FHC hosted the Wildcats in an attempt to regain some momentum. With solid performances in the singles category holding it down, the Rangers swept the doubles 4-0 and claimed a 6-2 win on the night. 

As they have all season, FHC’s singles players did an excellent job of securing much-needed wins. Freshmen phenom Lily Ohlman triumphed over her opponent at first singles, likewise to senior captain Emily Johnson’s match-securing victory. This marked Emily’s second straight win since her switch to the third singles position, providing a blueprint of success for the remainder of the season. Without these crucial matches taken by FHC, the team may not have been in such a position of comfort. 

The fireworks from the night, however, came from the Rangers’ doubles teams. Sophomore Brooke Kushak and Delaney Michalski pulled away in their marquee matchup at first doubles. Similarly, the sophomore-senior tandem of Megan Fox and Olivia Hooper squeaked out a win. The flaming-hot third doubles team of sophomore Ella Hunnewell and freshmen Lucy Wu kept its winning streak alive. To cap off the night, senior Lily Campbell teamed up with sophomore Leila Gonzalez to secure the first victory of her varsity career. This completed the sweep of doubles and served as a valuable, memorable moment for the senior.

“Winning this match against Northview was really exciting for me because last year with COVID, we didn’t get a chance to play,” Lily said. “I feel like this win is just the start of a really promising senior season for me and for the rest of the team.”

Coming up, FHC is slated with a tough task. The Rangers host the highly-touted Byron Center Bulldogs on Thursday, May 6th at 4:15 PM.