Girls JV soccer stays undefeated by beating beat East Grand Rapids 7-0

The girls JV soccer team took home another win this past Monday against East Grand Rapids. The girls did not have their best first half of the year, but they worked together and encouraged each other to push harder and get the win. FHC won by a final score of 7-0, showing no mercy to the Pioneers. 

“We came out very slow and played to their level,” sophomore Thea Sloat said. “The second half was a lot better; our best part of the game was the second half.”

Sophomores Frankie Sutton, Audrey Kind, and Mackenzie Wintrich, and freshman Zenash Cumings all scored against EGR. Frankie had three goals, and the rest of the girls had one. Four of the goals came in just minutes after the second half started, proving that the Rangers had come out with a new mentality after their halftime break.   

“I feel everyone did well considering it wasn’t a very challenging game,” freshman Skyler Tierney said. “Although they were more aggressive than what we are used to, we did a good job matching it and not getting pushed around.” 

The defensive players on the field also had a great performance. Sophomores Gracie Vermeulen, Thea, and Katelyn Breaugh all fought to finish the game with a shut-out. Katelyn acted as a great sweeper, Gracie defended aggressively while also making great passes, and Thea stayed tough against the Pioneer forwards. 

Winning this game puts the Rangers at an 8-0 season record. They are looking to continue their impressive winning streak next Friday, April 30, against Northview on the Wildcats’ home turf.