Forest Hills United Rugby enters spring 2020-2021 season behind strong leadership and experience

The Forest Hills Rugby Club “Deadheads” have taken on a totally different identity this year and have morphed into a dangerous team to face.  The Deadheads are a completely different team from last year. Senior captain Ryan Demeter is at the forefront of this identity switch; he’s an aggressive blindside flanker who leads by example.

“I think this year the team has a lot of chemistry and trust in one another,” said Ryan. “We are a close group of guys who know what we can accomplish this season.”

Head coach Brad Anderson has coached the FHC Ranger wrestling team to numerous victories during his tenure at FHC, but he has never gotten the opportunity to coach the Rugby team. With his experience as the wrestling coach in his back pocket, he is the ideal person to coach this band of rugby brothers to victory.

“I think the toughest young men in Forest Hills are on the rugby pitch this Friday night,” head coach Brad Anderson said. “We might not have a ton of experience, but we make up for that with our competitive spirit and aggressive play.”

The rookie coach is aided by veteran coach Ken Smith, club president and alumnus Jared Ross, and Deadhead alumni Wyatt Engler, Ben Fabiano, and Brandon Weiskopf. The team also will be sporting new black and white Deadhead jerseys. The new uniforms are a way to create a tradition of blue-collar toughness. In other words, it makes the team look like an ominous group of warriors. Size and speed will be a certain advantage with a large crop of forwards, including returners such as senior hooker Danny Dykstra, senior Ryan Demeter, junior lock Evan Elzinga, senior locks Robby Frazer and Cam Roth. The Forest Hills Rugby Club backs will look to have a breakthrough season with the following established returning roster members: sophomore scrumhalf Topher Beckering, sophomore flyhalf Andrew Weiskopf, flyhalf Sal Ramsahoi, and senior outside center Quinn Wiseley. A variety of new players will also form the Deadheads, so the team will have depth and feature a mix of hard-hitting forwards and quick backs. 

This gritty group of guys will host their first game of the season on Friday, April 30, at Forest Hills Central High School against the combined forces of Catholic Central and West Catholic high school called Catholic RFC.