Emily Johnson’s singles victory over Troy propels the girls varsity tennis team to a third-place finish at the Northville Quad

Emily Johnsons singles victory over Troy propels the girls varsity tennis team to a third-place finish at the Northville Quad

In her last season, senior Emily Johnson has made it her mission to lead the girls varsity tennis team to prosperity. The captain and four-year varsity player has truly seen it all in her time at FHC, from being the only freshman on varsity to the COVID season, all the way up to her senior year. In the Northville Quad, FHC competed with schools such as Troy, Northville, and Holly. Emily’s big, three-set singles victory over her opponent from Troy highlighted a very competitive day for the Rangers against some incredibly talented teams. Her two, gritty 6-3 set victories displayed just how much a player like Johnson can benefit a team.

“It is so important to me to contribute to the team’s success,” Emily said. “I want to know that I am doing as much as I possibly can to help lead the team to victory,” Without a doubt, the senior captain’s performance so far this season has reflected her mindset and work ethic. 

Following the cancellation of the team’s match against Marian High School, the Northville Quad was slated as the sole match of the weekend. Despite having to play state-renowned teams such as Troy and Northville, FHC’s execution remained satisfactory. 

“Both Northville and Troy are perennial top 10 teams in division one,” assistant coach Jeremy Moog said. “Regardless, we played them tough and competed well.”

Along with Emily’s singles win, another Ranger victory was accomplished in three sets. The underclassmen doubles team consisting of sophomore Ella Hunnewell and freshman Lucy Wu came away with a huge win over Holly High School in three sets. On a related note, sophomore Veronica Vincent won her first varsity match with a convincing 6-3, 6-0 sweep of her opponent from Holly. 

Such accomplishments from FHC in the Northville Quad paved the way for its eventual third-place finish by the powerhouses of Northville and Troy. Now that its second match of a lengthy season is complete, head coach Dan Bolhouse and the team have the chance to find a true formula for success.

“As the season progresses, I will monitor the lineup daily and make adjustments to it,” coach Bolhouse said. “We are working to find the rhythm and getting back to our high level of tennis. We will do this by hitting a lot of balls, working hard in practice, and playing as many matches as possible.”

In the upcoming week, the girls varsity tennis team has little time to catch its breath. The Rangers participate in the Midland Quad on Wednesday, April 21, shortly before hosting Lowell the following day.