JV baseball kicks off season with a quick mercy over EK in three innings

JV baseball blasted off early after being let off the leash that was the preseason. It took just one game for the Rangers to hit double digits in the scoring column, as they pelted 16 runs against East Kentwood in a 16-0 three-inning mercy. The Rangers open up the season now 1-0 before moving onto a doubleheader and a single game with Greenville.

It was the freshmen who led the way pitching-wise, as Carson Custer got the nod to be the starting guy. Custer pitched the first two innings, earning five strikeouts while facing six batters. In his first start, he didn’t give up any runs or hits for his first JV win. Mason McDonald pitched the last inning for FHC and earned a surprising four strikeouts even though he only faced three batters. After a sloppy pitch that led to the catcher dropping it, the ground ball was ruled as in.

Head coach Steve Courcy was very proud of the young bucks after their breakout performance in their debuts.

“I’m just really happy they all got off to a great start, and it’s a great confidence boost for everyone,” Courcy said. “I think the sophomores are realizing we have a special group with lots of talented freshmen, which bodes well for the future of the program.”

Offensively for FHC, another freshman stood out as a future star; freshman Trevor Williams tied sophomore Justin Osterhouse with three RBIs. On the other hand, Osterhouse ripped off three hits, which led the whole team. Osterhouse and sophomore Chase Robinson will likely bring lots of leadership on and off the field for the Rangers this season, and Courcy is pleased with their potential leadership abilities.

“I like to see the leaders emerge naturally, versus adding pressure to kids who have not yet developed those abilities,” Courcy mentioned. “We have great work ethic across the board, so I’m hoping they all lean on each other to become leaders.”

Not only is this a bittersweet tribute win for the sophomore class that lost their season last year, but it also speaks truth to how balanced the FHC baseball program is top to bottom. Once school comes back into session on Wednesday, April 14th, the boys will travel to partake in a Greenville doubleheader.