JV baseball completes sweep over GRC in dramatic fashion

Lucas Thompson

More stories from Lucas Thompson

In the final game of the series, the JV baseball team was committed to completing the sweep on Grand Rapids Christian. With the boys tied 3-3 late in the seventh inning, one particular sophomore stepped up to change the game. 

Sophomore Matthew Seurynck started on the mound for the Rangers with a solid six-strikeout outing. Creating the offense was sophomore Alex Brown, who singled on a hard ground ball into left field. Still, the bats were quiet until the third inning. 

Another single from Alex started a Ranger rally. Sophomore Jacob Robertson took four balls for a trip to first base; Trevor Williams singled on a hard-line drive to center, scoring one run. Sophomore Jacob Harleton would then single into left field, scoring two more runs for the team. 

Entering the fourth inning, the Eagles answered back with two runs of their own; the score became 3-2. Going into the depths of inning six, the Eagles add one more run to create a tie ballgame. Luckily for FHC, the Rangers got out of the inning to keep it tied at 3. 

It was tied in the top of the seventh, and Trevor was up at the dish.

“The mindset was to go up and be loose,” Trevor said. “[To] try to drive one as hard and as far into the gap as I could.”

Trevor did just that and more.

With strike one coming from a strong swing, the pitcher thought he had the upper hand. It took only one more pitch to change the game. Swing number two from Trevor was a deep home run into left field to help his team take the lead. 

“I just wanted to get on base to start scoring runs,” Trevor said. “I wasn’t trying to hit a home run, I just connected and the ball flew.”

The JV baseball team successfully topped Grand Rapids Christian 4-3 to complete the sweep. On Thursday, May 5, the boys play at 4:15 at home against the Calvin Christian Squires.