JV baseball finds first loss against Caledonia

The JV baseball team traveled to Caledonia on Friday, April 29, to take on the Fighting Scots of Caledonia. Two more wins would give the undefeated Rangers a 10-0 record going into the weekend. However, all good things do come to an end. 

Game one began with a rough first few innings for the Rangers; the bats were quiet until about the fourth inning. FHC had its first run scored by sophomore Josh Tellier, but the Rangers would need to do more damage to break the three-run deficit presented by the Fighting Scots. 

With a score of 6-3, sophomore Chase Enbody was at the dish. On a 2-1 count, Chase cranked a home run over the left-field fence to make the game 6-4. Sophomore Jacob Harleton scored another run. JV baseball needed one more run to tie the game. 

With the same score in the top of the seventh, sophomore Drew Fortino doubled on a line drive to center field. Josh then singled to left field to advance Drew. Unfortunately for FHC, two ensuing strikeouts would put game one into the books. JV baseball’s eight-game winning streak came to an end against Cal; however, this motivated the boys going into the next game. 

Game two had sophomore Trevor Williams starting on the mound for FHC. Trevor had an electric outing with a no-hitter against the Fighting Scots. The offense backed up its flame-throwing pitcher with loads of run support. Sophomore Alex Brown reached home on a passed ball, followed by a double from Josh.

In the fifth inning, the score was 8-1 and the offense was not slowing down. Josh doubled on a line drive to left field, adding another run. The game would end in a 9-1 victory led by Trevor on the mound with 11 strikeouts. 

JV baseball concludes the doubleheader with a 9-1 record going into next week. The boys will take on the Grand Rapids Christian Eagles at home on Monday, May 2, at 4:15 pm.