Philip Murdock’s career outing at Oakland Hills answers some questions about depth for boys varsity golf

Philip Murdocks career outing at Oakland Hills answers some questions about depth for boys varsity golf

On the biggest stage, at the course deemed “The Monster,” and against the best talent in Michigan, sophomore Philip Murdock had a career outing in the form of a 14th-place finish. 

“It felt great. That was my best round ever, and to do it at such a prestigious club just added to the excitement,” Philip said.

Philip started off his day at the Next Tee Invite with a par on his first hole at the infamous Oakland Hills Country Club, cutting him even for the time being. Then, the up-and-coming sophomore went on an absolute tear, never giving up more than a bogey. By the time Philip got to Hole 10, he had maintained a solid place in the middle of the pack. However, he still needed one last push. That push would come after Philip sank in a clutch birdie putt on Hole 10 to bring him closer to the top of the leaderboard. In the end, his ascension on the leaderboard stopped at 14th place; however, considering that there were a total of 128 golfers at the event, it goes without saying that Philip should be praised for shooting the best round of his high school career at one of the more prestigious high school golf tournaments in Michigan. 

“Philip played a great round yesterday,” head coach Paul TenEyck said. “He was in control and composed the entire day. I am hopeful that this round will lead to more confidence on the course.”

Philip’s older brother, Joe, meanwhile, was the next Ranger to pop up on the leaderboard at nine-over par. Before a bogey on Hole 15, Joe had parred 10 out of 18 holes. On Hole 15 and beyond, though, Joe struggled to maintain his high spot on the leaderboard, which ended up wiping away his chances at a high finish. When it was all said and done, Joe finished his 18-hole round tied for 33rd place with seven other golfers.

Next up for the boys is a trip out to Egypt Valley for an OK White Jamboree hosted by Forest Hills Northern. If the Next Tee Invite is any indication of what FHC’s depth could look like below Joe, then it will interesting to see how the Rangers fair against more local talent.