JV baseball nabs hefty win over East Kentwood despite low temperatures

With the temperature below freezing, there was still baseball to be played at FHC on Monday. Even though the cold was palpable, JV baseball got off to a hot start against East Kentwood.

Despite a big second-inning push by the Falcons, the Rangers pulled away with ease. Sophomore Alex Brown singled on a 2-2 count, scoring a run for the Rangers.

In the last two closing innings, fellow sophomore Josh Tellier held the opposing squad to no runs. Sophomore Mason McDonald had the start for the boys on the mound and went for one inning on one hit while striking out three.

“I believe it was our hitting that really shined,” Alex said. “Even with spotty pitching through the cold, Josh Tellier really came through for our team.” 

The colder temperatures affected both teams negatively, but the boys pushed through to put runs up on the board. Sophomore Jacob Harleton had a multi-hit game within the mix to give the boys their 19-8 win.

“I think it took a little bit to get adjusted,” Jacob said. “However, we found a groove and came away with a win.” 

The JV squad walked off the field with ten hits on the day, and Mason, Alex, and Jacob all had incredible multi-hit performances. While a big first win is great going into a short season, the boys know there is still work to be done. 

“We should try to cut down the number of walks given up,” Alex said. “That is the only way the other team scored runs, and our defense held us back. These should be our working points for future practices.”