JT Hartman and Jack Elliott both find the endzone as JV/Freshman combined football team shuts out Grand Rapids Christian 14-0

With almost less than two weeks to prepare, JV Football faced a prominent challenge on the road on Thursday as it took on Grand Rapids Christian. Combining big offensive plays from sophomore Jack Elliot and freshman JT Hartman along with a stellar defensive performance, the Rangers won by a low, yet convincing score of 14-0.  

The first quarter started off slow; both defenses refused to cave in. This ended up being the story all night long for FHC. The Ranger defense stood tall and stout for all 48 minutes as it dominated the Eagles’ offense. 

“Our defense was definitely very good tonight,” head coach Ty Hallock stated after the game. “We were sloppy at some times but very solid at others. We are excited about the rest of the season.” 

The Rangers’ offense broke the scoring drought in the first quarter when Jack turned a simple run play into a beautiful 15-yard touchdown to put FHC up 7-0. This gave the team a confidence boost that would prove itself for the rest of the game. 

Immediately after, the game turned back into a battle of defense. Both defenses butted heads until the third quarter until the Ranger offense rebounded as JT extended the lead to 14-0 with a graceful 7-yard touchdown run. 

“JT played a very good game, and he’s only a freshman,” sophomore quarterback Levi Mckenzie praised postgame. As the only freshman on the team, Hartman played a significant role in the offensive scheme. Amidst particular offensive team struggles, JT was able to rally his squad and stay in control of the lead. 

As the game progressed, the defense did not waver. It finished the game just as it had started, shutting out Grand Rapids Christian and winning by a final of 14-0. It truly was a dominating performance by the Gang Green. 

“This was a very fun and stressful game in the same breath. Wanting to be competitive and win but also wanting to make sure that we get as many guys in the right place as possible,” Hallock said. “Always good to get a win out of the gates!”

This victory puts FHC at 1-0 on the season. The Rangers will travel to Forest Hills Northern next week in an attempt to remain undefeated.